Skip to main content

My Success Story

 


Visiting my past, I realised that, success, usually recognized through ACCOMPLISHMENT, is a fleeting felling until a new one is added. But what makes an achievement ACCOMPLISHMENT is the emotion felt during the whole process. I’ve felt contentment, excitement, & proud, but the strongest one till date is MOTIVATION.

It was 8th session of my Bharatnatyam class & I was 10 years old. For the last 3 years I’d been trying various activities like playing a piano, UCMAS & karate but was never able to stay through the whole journey & I wasn’t sure I could last this one as well. But a conversation changed it all.

That was the 1st day when Guruji came to see how we newbies were catching up with what her protégé, Kazumi Di, had been teaching us, which included learning new poses by keeping straight & steady hands & maintaining the leg postures for minutes long. Through days I realized that this is not just a dance but it is a process which would help me establish my focus, control & strengthen me physically & mentally, & to use my sense of sight& hearing.

We had just started our warm up exercises, when we were informed that Guruji wanted to see us. We went in & saw that Kazumi Di was sitting down with THATTU MANAI & Guruji was sitting up on a chair with a warm welcoming smile on her face, which instantly made the environment & all of us fell lighter. Di arranged us all on the dance floor. I was the tallest amongst my fellow mates & thus usually stood at the back. Due to this fact I was less anxious than the others, but it soon changed when I was placed upfront. We were positioned such that each one of us could be seen clearly, but that did nothing to abate my confusion & nervousness. I braved a look at Guruji & saw that her brow was pinched in confusion as well. When di was done arranging us, she turned to go back to her seat & saw the look on Guruji’s face, & told us to finish our warm up exercise, at our assigned positions. After a few minutes, Guruji swiftly leaned towards di & asked her in almost inaudible whisper,  

“Why did you put the tallest girl in the front?”

To which di replied,

“She is the tallest one amongst all & has more difficulty in maintaining her posture for longer time, so I need to keep an eye on her.”

Hearing this made my sight become blur with hot tears.

At that moment I recalled why I had only been able to attend my previous activities for no more than a week. It was nearly a given that kids who are slow at learning are meant to be degraded, scolded, or punished in front of the others to watch.

I got lost in my thoughts and failed to notice that everyone had finished their warm up and were waiting for me. I felt a quick sense of relief on realising that no one other than me had heard their conversation. This realisation helped me to keep my tears at the bay & resolute my will to keep the past in the PAST & prove myself to MYSELF TODAY.

We learned some new ADAVUS after performing the older ones. Throughout the dance I refused myself to stray my focus & performed with as much grace in my posture as I could muster.

When the practice ended & we were allowed to leave, I went to collect my bag from the table lying at the back corner when I again heard them. They were oblivious to my presence & so their voice was more audible this time, when Guruji said,

“What you said about her is clearly the opposite to what I saw. It takes more focus to maintain the ARAMANDI position with such elegance as she did. How can you not see that? ”

To which di replied,

“All I said was that ‘she faces more difficulty in maintaining her posture’ & not that she is incapable. She was holding herself back as if she was scared of something & so I placed her upfront today. I knew she would be anxious & that she heard our conversation. But instead of giving into self-loathing or fear, this time she stood for herself which eventually made her your focal point.”

On my way back home, I tried to comprehend her words & conceived that may be in the past I never understood what those scolding by my mentors was meant for.

This, for me, is ‘THE’ DEFINED MOMENT when I registered that I am the sole producer & manufacturer of my MOTIVATION & eventually SUCCESS. 

Image(s) Source: Google

-Bansari Dalal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LEGLESS PILOT

If I would tell you that there was a pilot who participated in World War II and he was with no legs, you will consider me as a wrongheaded. But now again if I tell you that he was credited with 22 aerial victories, four shared victories, six probable’s, one shared probable and 11 enemy aircraft damaged, then you will be going to suggest some kind of treatment. But Douglas Bader was no less than an exception. There is a quote in Hindi, मन के हारे हार है , मन के जीते जीत i.e. Those who think they'll lose, they lose but the ones who think they'll win, wins and Douglas Bader proved it. Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, was a fighter ace in the Royal Air Force. He was the kind of man who could never resist a challenge. While attempting a low-level aerobatic display in 1931, he crashed. Luckily, he survived but both legs were amputated below knees. Born in London, Bader was full of aggressive energy and he was also a man of sports. He was so fond of sports

Superstitions

  “WHAT?” “So, you are telling me that you lost the job because of a random black cat who crossed the road?” “YES.” The yes made me write this article. When Advik started preparing for this job interview two years ago, every single person of our society knew that he would make it. There was no doubt about it. Never thought he would lose it for reaching late, that too because of a cat. He is one of the most amazing persons I have ever met. I look up to him so many times. Hearing something like this from him is the last thing I expected. Superstitions are not new to any of us. They have been intertwined with us since forever. The above is just one of the many examples we hear every day. Debugging Superstitions Some deny them while some worship them. It is actually a personal outlook. They are neither myths nor boons but disoriented beliefs born out of ignorance and science causalities from the past. For example, Friday the 13 th is considered bad because of unfortunate pas

Wars And Lessons(Part 2)

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."                                                                                                      ~ Heraclitus And in the second part of the series Wars and Lessons, we are going to talk about that one warrior, the one who is the real inspiration for us. But it is not like a warrior or a soldier wants a war. In the words of Douglas MacArthur. “The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” But if it happens then the soldier is the one who faces it, conquers it, and wins it. In this part, we are going to talk about some of the finest warriors of the Indian Defence Forces. 1.       Major General Ian Cardozo- If I have been given an oppo