Skip to main content

Unwelcome!

It was evening time; the doorbell rang; my mother asked me to open the door. I opened the door and saw my uncle standing with his luggage, smiling at me. I invited him to come in and touched his feet as he proceeded. Everybody gathered - chit-chat began, Mumma was preparing tea, and suddenly out of nowhere, uncle asked me how my studies were going. I gave him an awkward smile and said that it was going well. I thought the conversation might end here, but he seemed more interested in my studies than me:') He further asked me that then in which year I am, I said in the final year. As soon as I said the word 'final' - I was able to see the light of enlightenment behind him and the innumerous life lessons he was going to give me. I prepared myself, one ear for the information to enter and the other to let it exit, mind blank, neck flexible to move up-down, and an expressionless face.  

Then the unwanted career counseling began- 

 

Round 1 - "The interview!" 

Uncle: So, what are your plans after graduation?

Me: Not planned yet!(though I have some plans, but don't want to reveal 🤐)  

My mind: Wrong move!

Uncle: Oh, ok! Don’t you worry, Main hoon na!(I am there for you)

My mind: Yeah, that’s my concern!

Round 2 - "The guest lecture!"

Uncle and just uncle: You see, I suggest that you follow your passion, do something that fascinates you, and should not follow the cattle herd, hence why don't you try for a Sarkari Naukri (Government job) then? There is job security, respect, and high stature in society if you go for a government job. If you say- I can give you complete (undesired) guidance for cracking the exam to get a government job. And still, if you are not able to do then I have my sources in the municipality office, there I will get you a good job. Look, I am not forcing you, but you have to go for a good government job! 

Me: Hmmm! (with a wobbling head and again the awkward smile)

My mind: Why God? Why? Why only me??? 😭

Uncle (the unstoppable): Take this very seriously sonthis is a crucial year for your career. If you don't focus now, you will miss the opportunity to get your dream ("government") job. I hope you are understanding!

Me: Yes! Yes! Of course, uncle!

My mind: No! NOOOO! Please no more!


 

Final Round - "K.O.!"

Uncle (to my parents): Soon, he will graduate. Now he is grown up. It is high time. You have to make decisions for him. He doesn't know what's good for him. He is still a child. 

Me (in a feeble voice and same wobbling head, awkward smile): How contrasting! 

My parents: Yes, you are right, we will make him choose the right path, don't worry!

Finally, the conversation on my future career ended!

My life: *ruined:')    

 

I would be having a better career prospect if I was given proper counseling in my 10th class itself; I wish these random bits of advice were of some use in my life. But they are as stereotypical as India in Hollywood movies(*cough). So, it is always better to ignore them instead of getting offended.

 

Well, nobody knows how our future will be. Most we can do is have a goal and try to bend our fate towards that path. If someone’s advice manipulates the direction, it will only lead to a dead-end!

 

Even if I plan to do a government job, someone’s constant ranting will only divert me and make me frustrated. My friends and parents also advise me and suggest me things, but they aren't someone. They know me, my interest, and my habits. Hence, their advice is worth brainstorming. Some random person suggesting what is good for me is something that we should completely ignore, just like we neglect our teachers’ suggestions to start studying from the beginning of the semester itself (who does that? LOL!).   

 

Suddenly it felt that someone is pulling my ears and cheeks. It was my younger brother trying to wake me up from the after-lunch sleep. I realized it was just a dream, a nightmare, I would say 😰. Another realization that struck me - how my uncle can come from another city when there is a lockdown. I took a deep breath and relaxed; then the doorbell rang…

Image(s) source: Google/wikiHow

Manu Singh
(Dayatva Member)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LEGLESS PILOT

If I would tell you that there was a pilot who participated in World War II and he was with no legs, you will consider me as a wrongheaded. But now again if I tell you that he was credited with 22 aerial victories, four shared victories, six probable’s, one shared probable and 11 enemy aircraft damaged, then you will be going to suggest some kind of treatment. But Douglas Bader was no less than an exception. There is a quote in Hindi, मन के हारे हार है , मन के जीते जीत i.e. Those who think they'll lose, they lose but the ones who think they'll win, wins and Douglas Bader proved it. Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, was a fighter ace in the Royal Air Force. He was the kind of man who could never resist a challenge. While attempting a low-level aerobatic display in 1931, he crashed. Luckily, he survived but both legs were amputated below knees. Born in London, Bader was full of aggressive energy and he was also a man of sports. He was so fond of sports

Superstitions

  “WHAT?” “So, you are telling me that you lost the job because of a random black cat who crossed the road?” “YES.” The yes made me write this article. When Advik started preparing for this job interview two years ago, every single person of our society knew that he would make it. There was no doubt about it. Never thought he would lose it for reaching late, that too because of a cat. He is one of the most amazing persons I have ever met. I look up to him so many times. Hearing something like this from him is the last thing I expected. Superstitions are not new to any of us. They have been intertwined with us since forever. The above is just one of the many examples we hear every day. Debugging Superstitions Some deny them while some worship them. It is actually a personal outlook. They are neither myths nor boons but disoriented beliefs born out of ignorance and science causalities from the past. For example, Friday the 13 th is considered bad because of unfortunate pas

Wars And Lessons(Part 2)

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."                                                                                                      ~ Heraclitus And in the second part of the series Wars and Lessons, we are going to talk about that one warrior, the one who is the real inspiration for us. But it is not like a warrior or a soldier wants a war. In the words of Douglas MacArthur. “The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” But if it happens then the soldier is the one who faces it, conquers it, and wins it. In this part, we are going to talk about some of the finest warriors of the Indian Defence Forces. 1.       Major General Ian Cardozo- If I have been given an oppo